Buying guide: Cellular accessories
Given that there have been significant advances in mobile phone designing, some phones available in the market today are as powerful as desktop computers were only a decade ago. Cell phones are soon becoming the primary electronic gadget in many societies and are ever increasing their versatility. Naturally, this has also resulted in the creation of an entire market for cellular accessories. Among the major cell phone manufacturers that also produce accessories for their cell phones are LG, Sony, Samsung, Motorola, RIM (makers of Blackberry), etc. Besides, there are also other cellular accessories makers in the market. The following are some of the cellular accessories that are most in demand in the market. Needless to say, in spite of the many different types of products, some products are more popular than the others.
- 1. Earphones: Earphones and headphones are perhaps the most important accessories as far as cellphones go. While most manufacturers do bundle their own stock earphones with their cell phones, most such stock earphones are of not that high a quality and are wired. In addition, usually manufacturers only attach plain earphones providing average performance, which though good, are definitely not the benchmark for an audiophile. Also, quite many cell phones available in the market feature a 3.5 mm jack, which ensures universal connectivity as far as earphones go. Consequently, it is not uncommon to find people using a different manufacturer’s earphone with their cell phone. In those (increasingly) rare cases where phones feature the manufacturer’s proprietary ports, the manufacturers themselves have launched many earphones and headphones. The market for earphones too is pretty evolved and now comprises of a whole gamut of different types of products. For example, based on their form factor, earphones can be classified into headphones, earcups, earphones, and in-ear buds. Headphones are those large listening devices that cover almost the whole of your ear, and which are either worn vertically over the head or horizontally, from behind the head. As these are large, they are less portable but allow for the fitment of a larger driver, which ensures more dynamic sound production and superior power output. Earcups are small disc like pads that attach onto the ear; these are relatively new and are not as large as headphones. These are thus able to fit in a decent sized driver without compromising much on audio quality. Next up are earphones; these are perhaps the most common of all earphone types. These focus more on portability and ease of wear, and given the latest advancements in audio technology, these also provide good audio quality. Last, we have in-ear buds that literally go inside the ear. These offer excellent sound reproduction, superior external noise cancellation, and adequate portability.
- 2. Bluetooth handsets and earphones: Given the drive toward wireless connectivity and advances in wireless technology, Bluetooth variants of all of the above different types of earphones are available. These are more expensive than their wired counterparts and are somewhat lacking in sound quality, but provide users with the freedom of movement.
- 3. Covers/cases: Covers/cases are perhaps the most common cellular accessory after earphones and headsets. Cell phones often cost quite a lot, and it is necessary that utmost care be taken while using them. Among the areas more prone to damage, the screen and the buttons are particularly vulnerable. While the screen faces threats from bumps, dust, and scratches, the buttons do get affected by dust and small particles that abound in our environs. The screen is a particular soft spot in the case of touch screen phones for such phones are virtually useless in case the screen goes bad. A proper cell phone case or a cell phone cover that protects the phone is thus an absolute must. What’s more, a good, handy cover/case also eases the task of carrying the cell phone around. It is thus obvious that the cell phone case is a very necessary cell phone accessory. Now cell phone covers/cases come in a variety of shapes and sizes. In addition, cell phone covers/cases made from different materials are also available. For example, one can easily find leather cell phone covers/cases, resin cell phone covers/cases, plastic cell phone covers/cases, metal cell phone covers/cases, etc. Last but not the least, you can also create your own unique case or fashion one from any thing that you can use as a case to have a truly rare and one-off cover/case.
- 4. Charms: Cell phone charms are the charms that are connected to a mobile phone using a small strap. In most phones today, you will find a loop hole through which the strap can be attached. Cell phone charms are a recent phenomenon and are a good way to personalize your cell phone. Charms can be anything from your personal memorabilia to miniatures of your favorite characters. You can also create your own charms by a little dash of creativity.
- 5. Battery: Though the battery life of cellphones (as a whole) is improving, some heavy users of high-end multimedia phones will still complain of limited battery life. Such users often go in for extra or spare batteries to get them by the day. In the market, one can find batteries manufactured by both the original manufacturer and third party manufacturers. While the former are certainly the safer bet and may be expensive, the latter are usually cheap and may work perfectly fine but do carry a certain element of risk.
- 6. Cords, cables, and chargers: Cords, cables, and chargers are among the more necessary items for any cell phone. Further, most manufacturers do not provide car chargers with their cell phones, and these need to be purchased separately. Needless to say, as much as possible, one should stick to renowned manufacturers and brands that can be trusted. Additional cords and chargers do come in handy in case one misplaces his/her charger/cord. Also, note that one can find chargers and cords manufactured by both the original manufacturer and third party manufacturers. As such, one is advised to think twice before purchasing third party accessories. Things are all set to become easier though as cell phone manufacturers have decided to use standard ports in all their phones. The implementation, however, is still sometime away.
- 7. Scratch guard: Another rather known and important accessory is the scratch guard, which protects the display screen of your cell phone from scratches and dust. This is particularly important if you use a full touch screen phone for swipes and finger presses are more likely to cause scratches on the screen. While attaching the scratch guard, care must be taken to ensure that there is no dust on the screen and hat there are no air bubbles between the scratch guard and the surface of the screen. Furthermore, it is highly recommended that you go in for a scratch guard that has been certified by the manufacturer.
- 8. Miscellaneous accessories: In addition to the cellular accessories mentioned above, there are many other types of cell phone accessories available in the market today. For example, you will find in the market, find other such cell phone accessories as straps that can be attached to the phone directly (via a rather crude procedure) or to any case or bag or pouch that you must have purchased. These come in a variety of colors and in a variety of lengths. As such, finding a strap that meets your needs shouldn’t be that difficult. In fact, with a little elementary knowledge of crafts, you can even create your own unique strap or fashion one from any thing that you can use as a strap to have a one-off strap that can be a head turner. This can also be considered as a form of recycling old things, and is thus environmentally friendly. You can also customize your phone using the various skins and casings available in the market. While most skins are harmless, there is a chance that you might end up with a casing/skin that might damage the device. What’s more, you can also create your own skin by painting or creating art on some of your old casings. This is a good way to show your creativity and to have a new casing/skin without spending any money.
- 1. Cell phones are fast becoming the most used electronic gadget and the preferred communicative medium for many. And, as expected, given the wide scale proliferation of cell phones and portable multimedia devices, a whole new market has emerged for the accessories that compliment cell phones. LG, Sony, Samsung, Motorola, RIM (makers of Blackberry), etc., are among the major cell phone makers for whose phones there are many accessories available in the market.
- 2. Earphones and headphones are perhaps the most important accessories as far as cellphones go. Based on their form factor, earphones can be classified into headphones, earcups, earphones, and in-ear buds. Given the drive toward wireless connectivity and advances in wireless technology, Bluetooth variants of all of the above different types of earphones are available.
- 3. A proper case is an effective way of protecting your cell phone. What’s more, the case also eases the task of carrying and storing the cell phone. Cell phone cases come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and cell phone cases made from different materials are also available. A proper cell phone case or a cell phone cover that protects the phone and also looks good is thus an absolute must. You will also find in the market cell phone charms, which are an effective and easy way of customizing and personalizing your phone.
- 4. Though the battery life of cellphones (as a whole) is improving, some heavy users of high-end multimedia phones will still complain of limited battery life. Such users often go in for extra or spare batteries to get them by the day. In the market, one can find batteries manufactured by both the original manufacturer and third party manufacturers. Cords, cables, and chargers are among the more necessary items for any cell phone. Also, note that one can find chargers and cords manufactured by both the original manufacturer and third party manufacturers, and one is advised to think twice before purchasing third party accessories.
- 5. Another rather known and important accessory is the scratch guard, which protects the display screen of your cell phone from scratches and dust. A scratch guard is particularly important if you are using a full touch screen phone. Other cellular accessories available in the market include such items as casings/skins, straps, etc. With regard to casings/skins, there are a variety of these freely available in the market. In fact, you can also create your own skins or color and paint an existing one for a unique casing/skin. The same also holds true with regard to straps.
In all likelihood, there are probably many more different types of accessories, which ensure that you can customize your cell phone to no end. The above mentioned are only some of the accessories that are readily available in the market. When shopping for cellular accessories, stick to those that are from trusted brands.
Copyright © 2000-2013 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved